BSS
  21 Feb 2025, 12:16

Arab leaders gather in Saudi Arabia to hash out Gaza plan

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, Feb 21, 2025 (BSS/AFP) - Arab leaders were gathering in 
Saudi Arabia on Friday to hammer out a recovery plan for Gaza aimed at 
countering President Donald Trump's proposal for US control of the territory 
and the expulsion of its people.

Trump's plan has united Arab states in opposition, but disagreements remain 
over who should govern the war-ravaged Palestinian territory and how to fund 
its reconstruction.

Umer Karim, an expert on Saudi foreign policy, called the summit the "most 
consequential" in decades for the wider Arab world and the Palestinian issue.

Trump triggered global outrage when he proposed the United States "take over 
the Gaza Strip" and relocate its 2.4 million people to neighbouring Egypt and 
Jordan.

A source close to the Saudi government told AFP Arab leaders would discuss "a 
reconstruction plan to counter Trump's plan for Gaza".

The Gaza Strip is largely in ruins after more than a year of war between 
Israel and Hamas, with the United Nations recently estimating that rebuilding 
would cost more than $53 billion.

Meeting with Trump in Washington on February 11, Jordan's King Abdullah II 
said Egypt would present a plan for a way forward.

The Saudi source said the talks would discuss "a version of the Egyptian 
plan".

The official Saudi Press Agency, citing an official, confirmed on Thursday 
that Egypt and Jordan were participating in the Riyadh summit along with the 
six country members of the Gulf Cooperation Council.

It also said decisions issued by the "unofficial fraternal meeting" would 
appear on the agenda of an emergency Arab League summit to be held in Egypt 
on 4 March.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi arrived in Saudi Arabia on Thursday, 
his office said.

Previously, a Saudi source told AFP the Palestinian Authority would also take 
part in the talks.

- Three phases -

Rebuilding Gaza will be a key issue, after Trump cited reconstruction as 
justification for relocating its population.

Cairo has yet to announce its initiative, but former Egyptian diplomat 
Mohamed Hegazy outlined a plan "in three technical phases over a period of 
three to five years".

The first phase, lasting six months, would focus on "early recovery" and the 
removal of debris, he said.

The second would require an international conference to provide details of 
reconstruction and focus on rebuilding utility infrastructure.

And the final one, Hegazy said, would entail urban planning, the 
reconstruction of housing, provision of services and the establishment of a 
"political track to implement the two-state solution".

An Arab diplomat familiar with Gulf affairs told AFP: "The biggest challenge 
facing the Egyptian plan is how to finance it."

The plan also seeks to address the complex issue of post-war oversight for 
Gaza -- which Hamas has controlled since 2007 -- with "a Palestinian 
administration that is not aligned with any faction", Hegazy said.

It will comprise "experts" and will be "politically and legally subordinate 
to the Palestinian Authority", he added.

Hegazy said Hamas "will retreat from the political scene in the coming 
period".