News Flash
STOCKHOLM, April 4, 2025 (BSS/AFP) - Swedish police said Friday they had
conducted nearly 1,000 interviews in the investigation into Sweden's worst
mass shooting and are still trying to piece together a motive.
On February 4, 35-year-old Rickard Andersson entered the Campus Risbergska
adult education centre in the city of Orebro and shot dead 10 people before
turning his gun on himself.
In the two months since, police have struggled to establish a clear motive.
Police said in a statement Friday that nearly 1,000 interviews had been made
and that while the first month of the investigation was characterised by
gathering information, the focus was now analysing the large amount of data
available.
"We are mapping the suspect's life as much as possible to understand him,
find his motivation and rule out other perpetrators. We also look at his
finances and digital traces as in any other case," said police operation
commander Henrik Dahlstrom.
"This is important in order to find a motive or to the extent possible be
able to find a motive.
In late February, police warned that they might never know for sure what
motived the gunman.
At the time, they said they were looking into establishing how the gunman had
spent the final hours before the shooting.
On Friday, police said they had been able to fill in the gaps and established
that the perpetrator had been seen inside the education centre already at
10:00 am, roughly two hours before the shooting began.
Police say Andersson had no prior criminal record and held a hunting licence
for four guns.
Police have not publicly named the victims but their foreign backgrounds soon
came to light when their names and photos were published in Swedish
newspapers and on social media, sparking concern among the country's
immigrants.